Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Me

 I think sometimes that to truly connect with those who read my books, there has to be a "human" connection. All too often today, everything is so completely "digital", the fact I have a life outside of my books is lost. Yes, writing is my passion and I insert some of my real life inside my books. There are pieces of myself that meld into the stories, sometimes on purpose and other times, without my even realizing it until I proof read the words I have written. I think to leave out the living, breathing side of my world would show in my writing.
 I am Darrel Day and I live in a small town in the north central part of Iowa. Cornfields and piggy's adorn my surroundings. I look like any other person living any other place in the world. What separates me from other writers, other people, is the person who lives inside of me. Appearing to look and be just like everyone else hides the person I truly am. That person allows me to sit and create stories simply by sitting down and writing. My mind has a million stories running around inside. Some of them may never be written but the ones that do find a way to the screen in front of me are part of experiences and emotions and laughter and tears that have made up my life.
 I kept a blog site going many years ago titled "Things I know about." It was a very open, honest blog concerning myself and what allowed me to write the way I wrote. I wrote openly of my long running struggle living with being bipolar, tourettes and often times, depressed. I told of the battles with emotional highs that made me feel as if I could conquer the world. For every high there was to write about, there was an equally draining low to combat. those highs and lows were and still are as much a gift as they are a curse. Both sides gave me the ability to write with true, real-time emotion, strong enough for the reader to feel it in my words. Although there is some embarrassment inside of me that goes along with the admittance of such disorders, as they are refereed to as today, there is also a sense of relief in writing about them.
 As I add to this blog, I will talk more about the "things I do know about" and how they tie into my writing. For now, I simply wanted to show you that I am more than a robotic being, typing away without any true emotion or reality. What lies awake inside my brain while my body sleeps is the settings for my next sentence, next paragraph... my next novel. I will also talk about some of books, upcoming events and where life takes on this journey we call life. Thank you for taking time to read this. I look forward to sharing more of myself with you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment